Search by Keyword
The main focus of the following papers is on dog and cat ownership since dogs and cats are by the far the most common types of pets.
Summary of statistics on socially responsible pet ownership
- 37.3% of households own dogs and 25.3% own cats
- 78% of dogs are desexed. 93% of cats are desexed
- 59% of households owned a cat or dog in 1994. That number has since declined with just 53% of households now in possession of a cat or dog
- 79% of owners have never had their pet go missing long enough to cause concern
- Less than 5% of dogs and cats ever need the services of a pound or shelter
- 91% of dog owners report keeping their dog on a leash in areas where they were required to do so
- Only 15% of owners report rarely or never keeping their cat in at night
- 98% of pet owners rarely or never receive complaints about their pets
- 99% of dog owners can keep a dog secure on their property.
- Only 33% of owners in 1994 always picked up dog droppings. Now the figure has increased to 64%
- 74% of dog owners in 1994 exercised their pet with reasonable frequency. Now the figure is over 80%
- Eight in ten dog owners exercise their dogs, almost half of these exercise their dog once or twice a day
- Dog owners who live alone are more likely to exercise their dogs than those who live in households with children
- Only 3% of pet owners rarely or never walk their dog
Clear progress has been made in regard to socially responsible pet ownership since 1994 when the first survey of Socially Responsible Pet ownership was undertaken. It seems likely that an important contribution has been made by the efforts of opinion leaders, including Local Governments, veterinarians and their professional associations, and the urban animal management movement.
Pet owners themselves have also contributed by exerting peer pressure on others to be responsible.
Pet populations in Australia. Dogs increasing and cats decreasing - why is it so?Discusses possible reasons for increasing dog and decreasing cat numbers plus benefits of pet ownership
Links to all papers on this subject headingBrowse for further information on this topic